Why limit oatmeal to just sweet toppings when there are so many delicious savory ways to top your oatmeal. Jazz up your next bowl of oatmeal with this sweet potato hash and poached egg topping combo. Gluten free. Vegetarian.
Have you ever tried savory oatmeal before? If not, skip the sweet stuff today and send your tastebuds on an adventure they won’t forget! With the colder months coming, there is nothing we like more than a warm and cozy bowl of oatmeal to start a chilly morning. And although we do love our sweet oatmeal bowls, we have grown to be big fans of the savory version of oatmeal, too.
Yes, typically you think of oatmeal toppings to be things like berries, nuts, nut butter, chocolate chips, jelly, etc. Those are the toppings that the kids will most likely reach for most frequently. But, as adults, sometimes you want something a bit more hearty. That’s where getting creative with savory toppings come into play.
We have already done a savory egg and sausage combo, so if you tried and enjoy that then you will be in love with this! We took our favorite (easy) breakfast hash recipe and put it atop our Steel Cut Oatmeal, added a poached, some bagel seasoning and, voila! The most nutritious and flavorful savory oatmeal bowl! It all comes together in just 15 minutes, too!
But, don’t let that topping combo stop you! You can use things like melted cheese, mushrooms, turkey sausage, kale, etc. to create your favorite savory bowl. Of course, if you like things hot as we do then don’t forget to add your hot sauce, too!
Sweet Potato Hash and Poached Egg Oatmeal Ingredients:
- 1 package Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1 large egg, poached or cooked as desired
- 1/4 cup sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp. chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 tbsp. yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper, if desired
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, if desired
- Hot sauce, if desired
- fresh cilantro, if desired
Sweet Potato Hash and Poached Egg Oatmeal
- 1 pouch Steel Cut Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup sweet potatoes diced
- 2 tbsp bell pepper any color, chopped
- 2 tbsp yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large egg poached or cooked according to package directions
- salt & pepper
- hot sauce
- Everything But The Bagel Seasoning
- fresh cilantro
- Cook oatmeal according to package directions.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tsp. olive oil. Add in your chopped potatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add your onion, peppers, salt, and pepper.
- Cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until all vegetables are fork tender.
- Top your cooked oatmeal with the sauteed vegetables and your poached egg.
- Finish off with EBTB seasoning, fresh cilantro, and hot sauce, if desired.